“THERE IS NO HEALTH WITHOUT MENTAL HEALTH.” (WHO)
Everyone has mental health, just as they have health. Health is not on an ON/OFF switch and everyone, throughout their daily life, will face challenges with their mental health just as they will their physical health.
“GOOD MENTAL HEALTH ISN’T ABOUT FEELING HAPPY AND CONFIDENT 100% OF TIME AND IGNORING ANY PROBLEMS. IT’S ABOUT LIVING AND COPING WELL DESPITE PROBLEMS.”CANADIAN MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATION
At FAN we can support our young people if things get tricky- however developing a strong sense of wellbeing throughout a child’s development from an early age, will help increase resilience and bolster mental health for when additional demands and challenges will inevitably be faced.
We aim to embed lots of what we know about wellbeing into our school ethos and daily functioning. We base lots of what we do, and how we do it, on the most recent research from reliable sources including five ways to wellbeing, as endorsed by the NHS.
- Make connections
- Be active
- Learn new skills
- Give to others
- Be mindful
SUPPORT AVAILABLE AT SCHOOL
- We also have a School Welfare Officer in place. She sees pupils via a formal referral system accessed through your Heads of Key Stage – please note that there can be a waiting period of several weeks for an appointment.
- We also have a Well-being Consultants working in partnership with FAN – there is a formal referral system accessed through your Heads of Key Stage.
- We have signed up for stopping ‘period poverty’ and female hygiene items are available from the Pastoral team.
- We also have well-being literature in the Pastoral Office where there are information leaflets for many external providers.
HOW TO HELP YOURSELF
- Sleep – Sleep is vital to wellbeing. It is essential to process the activities and dispose of toxins built up over the day. Teens need between 8 and 10 hours every night.
- Use of your phone/ tablet/ computer – Use of your phone has links with depression, anxiety and self-esteem issues. The exposure to a blue screen before going to sleep is known to disturb sleep cycles.
- Fuelling your body – Eating a balanced diet and drinking sufficient amounts of water is crucial to the healthy physical function of your body
- Kindness – You get back what you give out. Sometimes a tiny act of kindness can result in an improved state of mental health.